The Maggie Awards for Published Novelists recognizes authors who have published outstanding books in the romance genre. The Maggie Award is a symbol of achievement given by Georgia Romance Writers to bring special attention to these writers, and the Maggie, a silver medallion commissioned by GRW, receives national attention. Books will be scored and ranked by a panel of booksellers and librarians. The names and categories of Maggie recipients and finalists will appear in the Romance Writers Report.
Contest NOW closed!
Entry form for the Published Maggie Contest
(Entry must have a minimum length of 40,000 words and fit into one of the following romance categories with the exception of Novella, which should be 20,000 to 40,000 words)
- Category/Short Romance (CSR)
- Contemporary Single Title (CST)
- Historical (includes Regencies; HR)
- Mainstream Fiction with a Central Romance (formerly Novel with Strong Romantic Elements; MFCR)
- Paranormal (includes Futuristic, Time Travel, Fantasy, etc.; PFR)
- Romance Novella (Published Maggies, only; RN)
- Romance with Religious or Spiritual Elements (formerly Inspirational Romance, not to be confused with Paranormal/Fantasy; RR)
- Romantic Suspense (RS)
- Young Adult (YA)
- Open to all works of Romantic Fiction over 40,000 words, with the exception of Novella, which is between 20,000 and 40,000 words.
- Traditional and Self-Published works are both eligible for judging as long as they meet all requirements.
- We accept physical books only (no manuscripts or typed pages). If a physical book copy is not available, eBooks in *mobi are accepted and must be readable using Amazon e-reader apps. Print books must be industry trim sizes, professionally printed and bound. Both digital and print copies must have an ISBN number. Books will not be returned but sent to the librarian and bookseller judges to keep. Any nonconforming book that doesn’t meet the eligibility requirements as outlined in the Maggie Rules will be donated or destroyed.
- All books must carry a copyright date between January 2016 and December 2016.
- An entry may not be entered in more than one category.
- If the minimum number of entries in a category is not met, the entry will be moved into the second-choice category.
- The cost for each entry submitted are:
- GRW Members – $20.00
- RWA Members – $25.00
- Non-members – $30.00
- PLEASE PAY ONLY ONCE. If you are unsure your payment has been processed, please contact the Maggie Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org or check your Paypal account. If you pay twice, we will refund your money by check (required by our bylaws), less the Paypal fees.
- By entering the Maggies, you agree not to post book reviews on any other books entered – including but not limited to – finalists so long as your book remains in the contest.
If you do not have a Paypal account, please email the Maggie Chair and she will walk you through the payment steps.
- Three (3) judges from our bookseller/librarian pool will evaluate each book.
- Finalists will be notified by Thursday, June 29, 2017.
- Finalists books will then be sent to an additional three judges to decide the winner.
- Decisions of the judges are final.
- First place / highest scored book in each category will receive the prestigious Maggie Medallion.
- All Finalist will receive a certificate.
- Winners will be announced September 30, 2017, at the Moonlight & Magnolias award banquet.
Entries must be RECEIVED by April 9, 2017 (extended from April 2), and must include:
1. THREE (3) copies of each book entered.
2. Entry fee per title entered.
3. Separate entry form for each title entered.
4. Use PayPal to submit the fee (We will no longer be accepting checks or money orders), please list your title(s) in the comment box on the PayPal form. Please make sure to click back to the website after paying.
If you don’t receive the confirmation email (with the address to send books to) after payment via Paypal, please contact the Maggie chair at MaggieChair@gmail.com.
Published Maggie Entry Form
Please Pay it Forward – Judging the Unpublished Maggies
Please Note that we do need Published Authors to volunteer to judge our Unpublished Maggie awards. Judge Duties:
Entries are no more than 35 pages, double space, including a synopsis.
- You will receive entries (we try for around 3 to 4 per judge) by no later than May 5, 2017.
- Scoring is due back by June 15, 2017.
- Judges will critique their entries with constructive criticism based on their knowledge of the industry as Published Authors.
- Names of our First-Round Judges will NOT be revealed to the entrants unless you request otherwise.
- As Published Authors you know what it’s like traversing the waters to publication. Along the way, I’m sure you can think of words that helped you in your career. Please pay it forward. We have increased our judging pool from two judges per entry to three, and we now need more judges than ever.
If you are interested in being a judge for the Unpublished Maggies, be sure to mark the box on your entry form or email our Maggie Chair, Christina Crayn, at email@example.com.
For all questions concerning our Published Maggies contest, please contact our Published Coordinators at firstname.lastname@example.org.