The Published Maggie Award for Excellence Published recognizes authors who have published outstanding books in the romance genre. The Maggie Award is a symbol of achievement given by the Georgia Romance Writers (GRW) to bring special attention to these writers. The Maggie, a silver medallion commissioned by GRW, receives national attention. Books will be scored and ranked by a panel of booksellers and librarians. The names and categories of Maggie recipients and finalists will appear in the Romance Writers Report.
2018 Published Maggies has closed.
Entry must have a minimum length of 40,000 words and fit into one of the following romance categories with the exception of Romance Novella, which should be 20,000 to 40,000 words. For a detailed description of each category, please see Category Descriptions and Judges Guidelines link.
- Best New Book by a GRW Author
- Contemporary Romance: Long
- Contemporary Romance: Short
- Erotic Romance
- Historical Romance
- Mainstream Fiction with a Central Romance
- Paranormal Romance
- Romance Novella
- Romance with Religious or Spiritual Elements
- Romantic Suspense
- Young Adult / New Adult Romance
- Open to all works of Romantic Fiction over 40,000 words, with the exception of Romance Novella, which is between 20,000 and 40,000 words.
- Traditional and Self-Published works are eligible as long as they meet all requirements.
- We accept physical books only (no manuscripts or typed pages) or digital/eBooks in the *mobi format. All ebooks must be readable using Amazon e-reader apps.
- Print books must be industry trim sizes, professionally printed and bound.
- Both digital and print copies must have an ISBN number.
- Books will not be returned but sent to the librarian and bookseller judges to keep.
- Any book that doesn’t meet the eligibility requirements as outlined in the Maggie Rules will be disqualified, and the book will be either donated or destroyed.
- All books must carry a copyright date between January 2017 and December 2017.
- An entry may not be entered in more than one category unless it will also be entered into the Best New Book by a GRW Member. See judging for eligibility.
- If the minimum number of entries in a category is not met, the entry will be moved into the second-choice category.
- The cost for each entry submitted:
- GRW Members – $30.00
- RWA Members – $35.00
- Non-members – $40.00
- The cost for the Best New Book by a GRW Author entry is:
- GRW Members – $5.00 (in addition to entry fee)
- Entry discounts are available for:
- Judging the Unpublished Maggies – $5.00 discount off an entry fee
- Submitting a digital/eBook in *mobi instead of physical book – $5.00 discount off an entry fee
- PLEASE PAY ONLY ONCE. If you are unsure your payment has been processed, please contact the Maggie Chair at email@example.com or check your Paypal account. If you pay twice, we will refund your money by check (required by our bylaws), less the Paypal fees. If you do not have a Paypal account, please email the Maggie Chair and she will walk you through the payment steps.
- By entering the Maggie Awards for Excellence, you agree not to post book reviews on any other books entered into the contest (as of the contest start date) – including but not limited to finalists – so long as your book remains in the contest. Failure to follow the rules may result in entry disqualification.
- Three (3) judges from our bookseller/librarian pool will evaluate each book.
- Finalists will be notified by July 12, 2018.
- Decisions of the judges are final.
Published Maggie Awards:
- Highest scored book in each category will receive the prestigious Maggie Medallion.
- All Finalists will receive a certificate.
- Winners will be announced October 6, 2018, at the Moonlight & Magnolias awards banquet.
Best New Book by a GRW Author Award:
A novel entered in another Published Maggie contest category.
To be eligible:
- The author (or authors in the case of a writing team) shall be a member(s) of the Georgia Romance Writers with a current membership at time of entry.
- The entry will be digital (digital/eBooks in *.mobi must be readable using Amazon e-reader apps).
- Librarian and Bookseller judges will identify 5 finalists based on the top Published Maggie scores for entries in this special category.
- Five GRW PRO members, as designated by the PRO Liaison, will judge all 5 finalists. The highest and lowest scores for each finalist will be dropped to keep the contest judging fair and ethical.
- One winner will be selected and awarded the prestigious Maggie Medallion at the Moonlight & Magnolias awards banquet.
Entries must be RECEIVED by April 2, 2018, and must include:
- THREE (3) copies of each book entered (unless digital copy).
- Entry fee per title entered.
- Separate entry form for each title entered.
- Use PayPal to submit the fee (We will no longer be accepting checks or money orders), please list your title(s) in the comment box on the PayPal form. Please make sure to click back to the website after paying.
If you don’t receive the confirmation email (with the address to send books to) after payment via Paypal, please contact the Maggie chair at MaggieChair@gmail.com.
Please Pay it Forward – Judging the Unpublished Maggies
We need Published Authors to volunteer to judge our Unpublished Maggie awards. You will receive a $5 discount off a Maggie entry for your efforts. As Published Authors, you have traversed the waters to publication and your expertise is greatly appreciated. In addition, as a gesture of our appreciation, two judges – who return scores and critiques on time – will be randomly selected to receive a $25 gift certificate.
Entries are no more than 10,000 words, double spaced, including a synopsis.
- You will receive entries (approximately 3 to 4 per judge) by no later than May 6, 2018.
- Scoring is due back by June 14, 2018.
- Judges will critique their entries with constructive feedback based on their knowledge of the industry as Published Authors.
- Names of our First-Round Judges will NOT be revealed to the entrants unless you request it.
- Please mark the box on your entry form or email our Maggie Chair, Diana Hicks, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For all questions concerning our Published Maggies contest, please contact our Published Coordinators at email@example.com.